Frequently Asked Questions 


How do I accurately measure / weigh my boat?
  • Overall length include bow pulpits, swim platforms, motor brackets and the length of the motors or outdrives in the raised position.
  • Width is measured as the widest point of the boat including anything attached to the sides of the vessel.You may have to mark the wide points on the ground by a drop line and then measure those points.
  • Overall height is measured from the bottom of the keel to the highest non-removable part of the vessel.Should the boat be shipped on a cradle the height is from the bottom of the cradle to the highest point on the boat.
  • Should the boat be shipped on a trailer the dimensions must include those of the trailer.
    Weight is the fully loaded weight with all equipment, trailer/cradle and water/fuel if applicable.
    For a sailing yacht you will also need to provide the dimensions of the mast or masts.
If using a container service, who will arrange for the loading and securing of the boat?
We can deliver the container or flatrack to you and you can do it yourself or the boat can be delivered to a packing depot, wharf or marina where we will arrange the loading/securing and delivery to wharf.
What documents are required to arrange the Customs formalities?
To make sure there are no delays, it is important that we have all necessary documentation. Below are the minimum requirements to Customs clear in most countries.
  • Bill of sale, or proof of value when importer already owns the boat.
  • Photo identification. Passport or photo drivers licence
  • Bill of lading. If shipping through us we will provide this.
  • Fumigation certificate(if applicable)
Providing we have all documentation in advance, will allow us to liaise with all authorities to ensure you're yacht can be made available as soon as possible. For more information on what type of clearance best suits your situation please feel free to contact us. This is best discussed prior to the vessel sailing, to ensure the correct documents are complete at origin.
What method of shipping should I use?
This will depend on the size of your yacht, whether it is shipped on a cradle or a trailer. We will advise you based on the type of vessel best suited to your needs, and more importantly the type of vessels available on any particular trade route. eg may only be a container line.
How can I prepare and protect my boat?
Disconnecting the batteries, stowing all lose objects below decks, unstepping mast/rigging if shipping on a container, RO/RO or conventional vessels. In these cases the mast will normally need to be lashed to the deck.
For new boats you may consider shrink wrapping for protection from the elements.
Should I insure my boat?
Marine insurance is optional and can be covered under our marine open policy. It is strongly recommended as the liability of the shipping line is limited. All container and conventional vessels clause their bills of lading "shipped on deck at shippers risk." Some insurance companies will insist on a marine survey report. There are two types of cover. Total Loss or All Risks. Total Loss only covers cases when the boat is totally lost thru being lost overboard, fire etc, whereas All Risk also covers damage over an agreed value.
Insurance is calculated on a percentage of the declared value. A minimum premium may apply.
How is the "Insured Value" calculated?
When insuring any item for shipping, it is necessary to cover ALL costs associated with the shipping, so that in the event of total loss, you receive back the value of the boat, plus costs for the freight and associated charges. Calculation Equation
(Value of boat + Oceanfreight + 10%)= insures value x premium.
The addition 10% is to cover all associated costs in the event of total loss. For example if you had paid airline and accommodation expenses to fly to a country to purchase your boat. In the event of total loss, then the 10% would cover all or part of these costs, not directly associated with the actual shipping.
With a sailing yacht do I have to unstep the mast?
Only when shipping on a container vessel, RO/RO or conventional vessel.
What happens when my boat arrives at its destination?
You will need to arrange Customs clearance prior to the arrival of the vessel.
In most cases we can do this for you, or recommend that you engage a Customs broker. For more details please contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions: marine insurance, cargo shipping insurance, boat transport, vehicle shipping
Useful Information 

q: What are the vehicle shipping costs? How much does it cost to ship my vehicle overseas?

a: Prices are determined by vehicle size, type of service origin and final destination. We will provide a complete quotation within 24 hours.

q: How long will the shipment take?

a: The transit time of an ocean shipment depends on port of departure and port of arrival. As an example, a shipment from New York to Bremerhaven, Germany has a transit time of two weeks; from Los Angeles the transit time increases to six weeks. Allow one-two weeks for vehicle loading and clearing customs.

q: What do I need to do to prepare my vehicle for shipment?

a: please make sure your vehicle contains no more than 1/8 tank of fuel and all personal items are removed. Only those items that were original equipment (include the spare tire and changing tools) or permanently installed after market items can be shipped with your vehicle. Personal effects, under certain circumstances, may be shipped with your vehicle if special arrangements and additional charges are paid to the steamship lines.

q: What documents are required to export my vehicle?

a: US customs officials require either the original title of vehicle ownership or a notarized copy accompanied with the original lien release letter from the lien holder. If a lien (loan) is held on the vehicle, a letter from the lien holder referencing the year, make, model, VIN (vehicle identification number) of the vehicle and specifically granting you authorization to ship your car to the destination country. The letter must be on the lien holder's original letterhead, signed in blue ink and dated by the lien holder and provide a contact address and phone number. Above documents are required to expedite export clearance and will be returned upon completion of the US customs export clearance verification.

q: Do I need marine shipping insurance?

a: Optional marine insurance provides coverage against loss during ocean transit. We can arrange total loss or all risk marine shipping insurance on your behalf, or you can consult your insurance company to determine whether marine insurance coverage is included within your existing vehicle policy.

q: What is the available coverage?

a: All risks marine insurance – covers against damage from physical, external cause including partial damage, theft and catastrophe. This coverage is only available for professionally packed shipments (not available for self-loaded cargoes). This is the most comprehensive shipping insurance coverage, subject to underwriter’s terms and conditions.

Total loss marine insurance – as the name implies, this policy covers against total loss/catastrophe of entire shipment.

Depending on your type of shipment, there may be certain restrictions on the coverage. Please, talk to our customer service representative to evaluate your situation.

q: I am shipping my vehicle or boat with another shipper. Can I still insure my cargo through your services?

a: Yes, even if you are shipping with another company we can still arrange the marine insurance cover for your vehicle, boat or RV. Our cargo insurance rates are among the industry's lowest.

q: How much cargo insurance do I need to buy?

a: The standard practice is to cover the invoice cost plus freight plus a percentage to cover the anticipated profit (normally 10% to 20% is adequate). For valuable items (valued over $10000) you should consider getting a formal appraisal prior to shipping.

q: Are there any deductibles?

a: The deductible is the portion of any claim that is not covered by the insurance provider. It is the amount of expenses that must be paid out of pocket before an insurer will cover any expenses. It is normally quoted as a fixed quantity and is a part of most policies covering losses to the policy holder. The deductible must be paid by the insured, before the benefits of the policy can apply. We offer our customers deductibles that are among the lowest in the industry – from $100 to $500 depending on type of your shipment.

q: What are the advantages of taking the marine shipping insurance cover?

a: In case of damages, the local insurance company representative will deal directly with the carrier, handling the survey, estimating the damages and repairing the damaged vehicle. Repairing your vehicle overseas may not be cheap; shipping insurance helps to significantly lower your expenses.

q: Will duties and sales tax apply upon entering vehicle into a foreign country?

a: It depends on the destination country, your residence status and employment status. We recommend contacting the embassy commercial office for the country of destination for current rate information.

q: Will there be other charges due at the destination port?

a: Yes, there will be applicable port handling charges upon arrival at the destination port. These charges cover terminal handling/off-loading and documentation fees for your vehicle. We can only estimate what these charges might be, as they vary from destination to destination.

q: Will there be anyone to assist me with the customs clearance and pick-up of my container?

a: Yes, we’ll provide you with full details of the destination agent at the time of sailing.

Glossary of TERMS

What is RORO?

A term for roll-on roll-off cargo which is driven on and off the vessel. RORO cargo consists of items such as passenger vehicles, tractors, buses and trucks, or oversized cargo loaded on special flatbed, mafi or lowboy trailers.

Alli Yacht Ship Mailing Address Email: 5561 N. Croatan Highway Suite 143 Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, 27949
Currently, we are a foreign NVOCC for worldwide shipping outside the U.S. and freight broker for U.S. shipments. Additionally, we are applying for an NVOCC license for Cargo shipped in/out of the United States. Pricing and booking on these shipments will be coordinated with a licensed forwarder in the U.S. until such time that we have been issued our license.